Electric Storage heaters used to be seen as an expensive alternative to provide heat compared to other fuels. Not today – with energy costs soaring, storage heaters now provide a competitive source of controllable heat energy when compared to gas and oil alternatives.
Electric storage heaters are more flexible than central heating:
- The lifetime cost of an electric heat system will be lower than heating using other fuels.
- There is no flue modernisation, expensive pipe work or plumbing necessary.
- They can be installed anywhere using a simple wall bracket and have no maintenance costs
- Storage heaters are ideal for homes that are occupied during the day due to slow heat release throughout the day.
- Rooms can be equipped with modern storage heaters without major installation costs.
- No risks such as Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
- Electric heating is energy efficient and more environmentally friendly than central heating.
See more benefits of electric storage heaters here.
Early electric storage heaters were bulky and space consuming; and they emitted heat at a set rate, so the user had no control over the output. The heat stored during the night could be adjusted – but this involved making an estimate of the next day’s heating requirements, and a sudden change of weather could leave the user with too much or too little heat.
Improvements in technology and design have enhanced their appeal considerably. Present day electric storage heaters are slimmer – typically 167mm (6.2in) deep – and may either be wall-mounted or freestanding. They retain their heat more efficiently and enable greater control of heat output.
Thermostatically controlled adjustable dampers and fans allow the units to be run at low levels in unoccupied rooms and then at a higher level when needed, perhaps late in the day. Some units retain a residue of stored heat, which reduces overnight charging and cuts costs further. Others monitor room temperatures at night, assess the next day’s heating needs (a cold night is normally followed by a cold day) and adjust the heat charge accordingly.